AZ Photographers 1st Organizers Meeting (and a few personal thoughts)
Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off and away*!
Sometimes, you just know that something big is going to happen. That was the feeling at the first organizers meeting of the AZ Photographers. Present were fellow members from across the valley, each with their own ideas and photographic passions and united by
their excitement of seeing things through a tiny viewfinder on top of a camera. If you've looked at the scheduled meet-ups already, you'll find that almost every weekend you can join someone going somewhere taking photos of something. Now, plan on even more meet-ups, more locations and more adventures.
Out there things can happen, and frequently do, to people as brainy and footsy as you.*
Here are my 10 tips for getting the most out of this group in 2012:
1. DO THE THINGS YOU LOVE - With so many meet ups, you're bound to
find ones that naturally appeal to you- beautiful landscape shoots, educational
seminars, visits to historical sites, events and festivals...whatever you're doing
now, use the group activities to do more and do it better.
2. TRY SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW YOU LOVE YET - Take the
opportunity to go someplace or do something you haven't done before. With the
size and depth of this group, you're sure to find a knowledgeable guide to help
you along, whether it's in a classroom setting, or in the middle of a field trying to
set up a tent.
3. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A PHOTO CRITIQUE SESSION - Yes, it's hard to
justify spending good money to have people say you take bad photos - JUST
KIDDING! I participated in one of these sessions last year with Stacy and Nick
and it really opened my eyes in helping me better understand MY style and what I
needed to focus on (pun sort of intended).
4. JOIN THE AZ PHOTOGRAPHERS FACEBOOK PAGE - Daily photo postings
and a great way to meet and stay in touch with your fellow members (especially if
you have insomnia at 2:00 am). http://www/facebook.com/AZPhotogs
5. LEARN SOMETHING - the AZ Photographers group offers an amazing number
of small group workshops offering real one-on-one training and personal attention
at a very reasonable price.
6. JOIN THE REAL SOCIAL NETWORK - I mentioned FaceBook earlier - this
time I'm talking about face-to-face! You already have your opening line ("Nikon
or Canon?") to start a conversation with anyone at the Monthly Meet-Ups and
Happy Hours. Then, find out what others do away from the camera and you'll
find some very interesting people! (Over 650 Members in 2012!)
7. INVITE OTHERS - with the new membership levels, those not ready to commit
yet can become Affiliate Members and get involved.
8. CHECK OUT OUR SPONSORS - Along the left had side of our group Meet-Up
page, you'll see a variety of discounts and offers from our Sponsors. Many of the
members have taken advantage of these, and can give you their opinion before
9. ASK! Want to learn more about portrait photography? Photojournalism?
The "rule of 3rds or what ISO is? Chances are, the person next to you will know
or know someone who knows what you want to know. Everyone in the group
is there because they love taking photos, and people naturally love talking about
what they love. So just ask!
10. SHARE! Even if your DLSR still has that "showroom" scent, you bring something unique to this group. Maybe it's an idea for a photo shoot location, or an article you read, or noticing the interesting leaf on a tree. Let you fellow members know about it!
You're off the Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!*
Sandy Klewicki (and *Dr. Seuss)
Scottsdale Organizer & Scribe
To Learn more: Apply to Join here: http://www.AZPhotographersGroup.com